Is gluten-free sunblock necessary?
One of the questions I get asked often is how necessary is it to use gluten-free sunblock and personal care products? One thing I want to make clear as I offer my answer is, gluten CANNOT be absorbed through your skin! The only way to be exposed to gluten is by ingesting it.
That is where the stickiness of personal products comes in. No, you are hopefully not gnawing on your bar of soap, but is there the possibility you could have some shampoo dribble into your mouth while showering? Or the biggest reason why there might be a need is the potential from cross-contamination from your hands after using one of these products.
How to determine if a gluten-free product is necessary?
My general rule of thumb for determining the need for gluten-free personal products is age and likelihood of mouth exposure. So, for younger children who are more likely to put things in their mouth or keep their mouth open while playing in the bathtub- yes, by all means splurge for all gluten-free personal care products.
For adults, I’d say think about how the product will be used. Lip Balm or anything applied directly on your mouth- yes. Shampoo- Eh, depends how careful you are in the shower. Hand soap or lotion- well, think of it this way- After application, won’t you be eating at some point after? Your hands with that lotion or hand soap applied will be handling that food. So, I’d say yes, you probably want to make sure that product is gluten-free.
Same goes with sunblock. As we all know from going to the beach- you usually end up eating a sandwich full of sand after your sticky, sunblock covered hands act like a magnet the rest of the day. You know residual sunblock is remaining for awhile. Unless you want that gluten-filled sunblock rubbed all over your carefully prepared sandwich, you probably want to make sure you’re using a gluten-free sunblock.
How can I find a gluten-free sunblock?
So, what sunblocks are gluten-free? I’ve prepared a list for you. All of these products have been researched and compared to the Environmental Working Groups Skin Deep database which tests for the safety and efficacy of skincare products. You can review this yourself here- www.ewg.org/sunscreen/. As always though, I recommend you double-check all ingredient labels yourself before using because ingredients change.
Gluten-Free Sunblock List
- Adorable Baby Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 30+
- Alba Botanica Sunscreens (check package for GF labeling, not all of their products meet certification standards.)
- All Good Sunscreens
- All Terrain KidSport Sunscreen, SPF 30 (no gluten containing ingredients, but not certified)
- Australian Gold Kids SPF 50, Hypoallergenic Formula
- Babo Botanicals Clear Zinc Sunscreen, SPF 30 plus Fragrance Free
- Babyganics Mineral-based Sunscreen Spray SPF 50
- Babytime! by Episencial Sunny Sunscreen, SPF 35
- Badger Sunscreens
- Bare Belly- Natural Sunscreen Body Stick, SPF 34
- Bare Republic Clearscreen Products
- Beyond Coastal Active Sunscreen, SPF 34
- Blue Lizard Australian Sunscreen Baby, SPF 30+
- BurnOut KIDS Sunscreen, SPF 35
- Butterbean Organics Simple Formula Healthy Sunscreen, SPF 30
- California Baby Super Sensitive Sunscreen, SPF 30+
- Carefree Naturals, Zinc Blend SPF 40 Invisible Traditional Sunscreen Face & Body
- Caribbean Sol Sol Kid Kare, SPF 30
- CeraVe Sunscreen Stick, SPF 50
- COOLA Suncare Baby Mineral Sunscreen Unscented Moisturizer, SPF 50
- Coppertone Sunscreen Stick Water Babies Pure & Simple, SPF 50
- Cleure Sunscreen: Natural Mineral, Sensitive Skin, Sunscreen, SPF 15
- derma e Antioxidant Natural Sunscreen, SPF 30
- Elemental Herbs All Good Kid’s Sunscreen, SPF 30
- Goddess Garden Organics Baby Natural Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 30
- Grahams Natural- Sunclear, SPF 30+ Sunscreen
- Green Screen Organic
- Headhunter Sunscreen Natural, SPF 30
- Jersey Shore Cosmetics Anti-Aging Sunscreen, SPF 35 and Jersey Kids, SPF 30
- Kabana Organic Skincare, Green Screen Organic Sunscreen, SPF 32
- Keeki Pure & Simple UVA Protection Sunscreen Lotion- Broad Spectrum SPF 30
- Kiss My Face Organics Kids Sunscreen, SPF 30,
- Kids Defense Mineral SPF 30 Sunscreen Lotion, Sun Spray Lotion Sunscreen SPF 30, Sunscreen Face (SPF 30 and SPF 50), Sunscreen Lip Balm, Cool Sport Spray Sunscreen
- Loving Naturals 100% Natural Clear Body SPF 30+ Sunscreen
- Majestic Pure 100% Natural, SPF 30+
- Maui Sun Water Resistant Lotion Sunscreen with Broad Spectrum, SPF 30
- Miami Gorgeous SPF 30 Sunscreen Stick
- Neutrogena Pure & Free Baby Sunscreen, SPF 50
- Nurture My Body Organic Sunscreen, SPF 32
- Om Botanicals, Skin Soft Organic Moisturizer with Natural Sun Screen
- Replenix Ultra Sheer Sunscreen SPF 50+,
- Rocky Mountain Sunscreen, SPF 50 Sunscreen Mist, Face Stick SPF 60, 1.5-oz SPF 30 (and SPF 50) Broad Spectrum Sunscreen w/carabiner, 6 Ounce Spray Sunscreen SPF 30 and SPF 50
- Rubber Ducky Traditional Sunscreen, SPF 44
- Secret in-a-Tube Organic Zinc Oxide Sunscreen Moisturizer, SPF 32
- Sonage Protect Plus Natural SPF 30 Mineral Sunscreen
- Sunblocz Baby & Kids Sunscreen Creme, SPF 50+
- Sun Bum and Baby Bum Products
- Sunology Natural Sunscreen Kids, SPF 50
- Suntegrity Skincare Natural Mineral Sunscreen For Body, SPF 30
- Sunumbra Sunkids Natural Sunscreen, SPF 40
- Tender Sprouts Organic Zinc-Oxide Baby Sunscreen, SPF 35
- ThinkSport Kids Sunscreen, SPF 50+
- True Natural, SPF 30
- TruKid Sunny Days Sport Sunscreen, SPF 30
- Waxhead Tinted Zinc Oxide Sunscreen Stick, SPF 30
- Waxhead Zinc Oxide Sunscreen, SPF 35
- Zebs Organic Sunscreen, SPF 20 and SPF 30